The future of the Chinese video platform TikTok in the USA is unclear. TikTok is apparently trying to be lenient with a sale of the US business of Donald Trump.
After the announcement by US President Donald Trump (74) to ban the popular video platform TikTok in the USA, the future of the smartphone app is uncertain. The online network of the China-based parent company ByteDance declared on Saturday that it does not plan to leave the USA. Trump had announced on Friday that he would enforce the ban by decree or use the special economic rights to which he is entitled. Meanwhile, according to the Wall Street Journal, advanced sales negotiations between Microsoft and TikTok have been suspended, and Trump’s advisor Peter Navarro (71) told Fox News on Sunday night that the president will take action on Sunday or Monday with regard to TikTok. Originally, Trump said he wanted to enforce the ban on Saturday. However, it remained unclear at first how such a ban could be implemented. Previously, US authorities had expressed concerns that the network, which is used by almost one billion people worldwide, would pass on user data to the Chinese government.
In the U.S., TikTok was most recently reviewed by the Committee on Foreign Investment (CFIUS), which investigates transactions that affect U.S. national security. So far, TikTok has denied all allegations of user data leakage. According to Bytedance, TikTok’s data is stored in the USA, with a copy in Singapore.